Here’s a sample of what occurred on this day in the Lincoln conspiracy trial:
- Mary Surratt was moved to a seat closer to the rest of the conspirators
- Edman Spangler finally found representation on this date
- The carbine rifle John Wilkes Booth and David Herold picked up at the Surratt Tavern and the knife Booth used to stab Major Rathbone at Ford’s Theatre were entered into evidence
- The prosecution brought forth witnesses trying to prove Michael O’Laughlen had contact with John Wilkes Booth on the 13th or 14th of April while he visited D.C. with friends
- Secretary of War Edwin Stanton’s nephew testified that O’Laughlen was present near his uncle’s home on April 13th and inquired about General Grant who was visiting
- Several witnesses testified against Edman Spangler and his actions at Ford’s Theatre
The May 15, 1865 entry for the trial of the Lincoln assassination conspirators is now released and has more information. Please click here to access it. You can also access it through The Trial homepage.
Throughout May and June of 2020, I am publishing a day by day chronology of the trial of the Lincoln assassination conspirators. This includes almost daily posts announcing the release of what happened at the conspiracy trial 155 years ago. For more information about the creation of this project please click here.