Here’s a sample of what occurred on this day in the Lincoln conspiracy trial:
- Testimony about Jefferson Davis’ reaction to Lincoln’s death was presented
- Several defense witnesses for Dr. Mudd took the stand
- Edman Spangler’s actions behind the scenes at Ford’s Theatre were called into question by prosecution witness Jake Rittersbach
- David Herold’s defense attempted to portray him as a “light and trifling boy”
- Controversy broke out with a member of the commission objecting to the testimony of Confederate General Edward Johnson
- Anna Surratt, Mrs. Surratt’s daughter, took the stand and was overwhelmed with emotion
- An attempt was made by George Atzerodt’s defense to get his confession put onto the record
The May 30, 1865 entry for the trial of the Lincoln assassination conspirators is now released and has more information. Please click here to access it. You can also access it through The Trial homepage.
Throughout May and June of 2020, I am publishing a day by day chronology of the trial of the Lincoln assassination conspirators. This includes almost daily posts announcing the release of what happened at the conspiracy trial 155 years ago. For more information about the creation of this project please click here.