Here’s a sample of what occurred on this day in the Lincoln conspiracy trial:
- Dr. Mudd’s cousin testified about when Dr. Mudd told him about Booth and Herold’s visit
- Confederate plots to burn New York City and spread Yellow Fever throughout the Union were described
- More defense witnesses for Dr. Mudd took the stand explaining his whereabouts in the months prior to the assassination
- The newspaper reporters describe the physical toll relic hunters are having on the courtroom
- Booth’s mistress, Ella Starr, made an appearance in the court room but did not testify
The May 29, 1865 entry for the trial of the Lincoln assassination conspirators is now released and has more information. Please click here to access it. You can also access it through The Trial homepage.
Throughout May and June of 2020, I am publishing a day by day chronology of the trial of the Lincoln assassination conspirators. This includes almost daily posts announcing the release of what happened at the conspiracy trial 155 years ago. For more information about the creation of this project please click here.