Here’s a sample of what occurred on this day in the Lincoln conspiracy trial:
- The commissioners and judge advocates reconvened to finish up their deliberations
- The sentencing for Dr. Mudd was decided
- Five of the nine commissioners signed a recommendation for clemency for Mrs. Surratt
- The findings and sentences of the court were given to the Judge Advocate General for final approval by President Johnson
- The military commission established to try the Lincoln assassination conspirators adjourned for the last time
The June 30, 1865 entry for the trial of the Lincoln assassination conspirators is now released and has more information. Please click here to access it. You can also access it through The Trial homepage.
Throughout May and June of 2020, I am publishing a day by day chronology of the trial of the Lincoln assassination conspirators. This includes almost daily posts announcing the release of what happened at the conspiracy trial 155 years ago. For more information about the creation of this project please click here.