Here’s a sample of what occurred on this day in the Lincoln conspiracy trial:
- The commissioners and prosecution gathered for a photograph before court opened
- Further efforts to discredit the reputations of prosecution witnesses Marcus Norton and Daniel Thomas were made
- Dr. Mudd’s sister took the stand to testify about her brother’s whereabouts
- Honora Fitzpatrick, one of Mary Surratt’s boarders, testified that even she did not recognize Lewis Powell at first when he arrived at the boardinghouse on the night of April 17th
- Two of David Herold’s sisters were called to testify as defense witnesses for Dr. Mudd
- Supporting testimony was heard regarding the words Jefferson Davis allegedly said upon hearing the news of Lincoln’s assassination
- Defense lawyer Thomas Ewing and prosecution lawyer John Bingham sparred over Ewing’s claim to have “flanked” the government earlier in the trial
- The government allowed the words Dr. Mudd used in relating to his suspicious visitors to be entered into the record
- Noted orator Anna Dickinson visited the trial for the second time
The June 9, 1865 entry for the trial of the Lincoln assassination conspirators is now released and has more information. Please click here to access it. You can also access it through The Trial homepage.
Throughout May and June of 2020, I am publishing a day by day chronology of the trial of the Lincoln assassination conspirators. This includes almost daily posts announcing the release of what happened at the conspiracy trial 155 years ago. For more information about the creation of this project please click here.