Here’s a sample of what occurred on this day in the Lincoln conspiracy trial:
- The court first met in secret session to hear continued testimony from perjurer, Sandford Conover
- Capt. Edward Doherty of the 16th NY Cavalry testified about the capture of David Herold in company with John Wilkes Booth
- Edman Spangler’s friendliness and helpfulness towards Booth was testified to
- A letter from the War Department of the Confederacy was entered into evidence
- The court was packed with visitors in town for the upcoming Grand Review of the Armies including General and Mrs. Custer.
The May 22, 1865 entry for the trial of the Lincoln assassination conspirators is now released and has more information. Please click here to access it. You can also access it through The Trial homepage.
Throughout May and June of 2020, I am publishing a day by day chronology of the trial of the Lincoln assassination conspirators. This includes almost daily posts announcing the release of what happened at the conspiracy trial 155 years ago. For more information about the creation of this project please click here.