Here’s a sample of what occurred on this day in the Lincoln conspiracy trial:
- Testimony regarding Dr. Mudd’s interactions with the authorities who came to his house continued
- The capture of David Herold and the killing of John Wilkes Booth was testified to by Boston Corbett
- Booth’s diary likely made an appearance in the courtroom
- Testimony was given in regards to George Atzerodt’s movements and flight from D.C.
- The history of the horse used by Lewis Powell on the night of the assassination was traced back to Dr. Mudd’s neighbor
The May 17, 1865 entry for the trial of the Lincoln assassination conspirators is now released and has more information. Please click here to access it. You can also access it through The Trial homepage.
Throughout May and June of 2020, I am publishing a day by day chronology of the trial of the Lincoln assassination conspirators. This includes almost daily posts announcing the release of what happened at the conspiracy trial 155 years ago. For more information about the creation of this project please click here.